No further classroom courses will take place until the Autumn.
This is an intensive one day course providing an introduction for the complete novice and can help you decide if beekeeping is for you. For those with a little knowledge of beekeeping this can help fill in the gaps in your knowledge.
To put your name on the priority list for future courses or to make an enquiry email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost is £35 per person.
Fee includes a CD of the slides used on the day, handouts of the main points and light refreshments morning and afternoon. Please provide your own lunch.
- Introducing the Honey Bee – Honey Bee Races
- Queen, Workers and Drones – Recognition, Roles and Life Cycles
- Personal Beekeeping Equipment – Suits and Tools
- Bee Hives and Other Equipment
- The Beekeeping Year
- Managing your Bees – Inspections
- More about the Honey Bee – Moving Bees and Marking Queens
- Swarming – Impact and Management Techniques
- Honey Harvest – From the Hive to the Jar
- Bee Health – Managing the Risks to Bees
- Setting up your Apiary – Obtaining Bees and Equipment
- Bee Stings – The Risks
- Resources – Further Information
- What Next – Your Personal Action Plan
What have some people said about the course:
“Just to say thank you for the course which I found really informative as well as
entertaining and which will be very useful, I’m sure, in the future.”
“Thank you both very much indeed for such an interesting and thorough introduction to bee-keeping. It was extremely useful and a very sensible thing for me to do before putting a toe in the water as it were! I have slight reservations about whether I really can conmit the time to doing it properly – the summer is busy here. Anyway will think more about it. The apple cake was delicious – haven’t found the recipe yet.
Many thanks to you both for giving up your weekend to put on such an excellent workshop.”
“Just wanted to say thank you to you for an excellent course on Saturday.
I picked up lots of useful information, and it also gave me more confidence that
I’m heading roughly in the right direction than just reading Ted Hooper’s book!”